I met Hannah with two of her friends while they were sitting at an outdoor table (I’ll discuss the friends tomorrow). After a few vertical, non-smiling images, I showed her the images on the back of the camera. She was not a happy camper. So she brushed her hair to one side, ala the movie star, gave a huge smile, and I got some horizontals. These she liked much better. To me, of course, the non smiling ones seem more authentic.
(click to enlarge)
(click to enlarge)
I’ve mentioned the Fred Miranda people forum before, as it is a great place to get feedback on portraiture questions. The forum is HERE. So, I posted both of Hannah’s images and asked for opinions. Responses are listed below:
1. Beautiful woman. Of the two I prefer the horizontal mostly for the smile and wrinkles in the corners of her eyes. It comes across as a very relaxed and genuine emotion. Excellent work.
2. Ivote the horizontal portrait also.
3. I think I agree with you. I like the vertical one abit more. Both are really good though.
4. 1 (horizontal) for the win...what a beautiful smile (I’m not sure what “win” means)
5. My vote actually counts as 10, because I am me! (One in every crowd)
6. Horizontal for me. She's stunning
8. Dein, with only one example of each, I can't generalize about which is better- those of her smiling, or those of her not smiling. But of these two, I prefer the horizontal.
And yet... her smile looks a little forced to me. Considering the off-the-shoulder look, I suspect Hannah was trying to be a model. Smiling for a camera is a tough way to give a natural smile. As you know, I prefer the more natural smiles. Just $.02
9. Beautiful girl, love her smile and her freckles! I wish the lighting were a little more directional. (I’ll comment on the directional light tomorrow)
10. These pictures are very well taken. Considering the bnw, they have great light
11. Love all your head shots...Dean I like the horizontal one, beautiful girl.
12. Like someone mentioned about the freckles, I think it would have looked better in color.
So, the verdict is the smiley one. Just shows that I’m a bit out of touch, being hung up on authentic expressions. But that doesn’t mean that I’m going to change! J